Friday, December 20, 2013

Our new Lucy and Loo Studio in Maroochydore!

These photo's were taken by my gorgeous friend Shawn from 
Love and Water Photography
-----------------

"It's been a crazy long 3 years since Lucy and Loo was created.. but I finally now have realized my goal of opening a little studio here on the Sunny Coast.

... Lucky I have one very patient husband! Ha ha!"

(Left) The Violet A-line, Loo wears the Plum Full Length Dress and on the right, the Jade Green Cocktail Dress.
Lucy and Loo Creator
Leah Spender - aka 'Loo'
"The Lucy and Loo story began when I was trying to find bridesmaid dresses for my own wedding. I discovered the idea of the convertible dress online - one dress that could be wrapped and twisted into over 50 different styles. I thought "How perfect!" No more fussing around, now my bridesmaids could style their dress how they wanted!

I did some research and found a company here in Australia who made these dresses. But they wanted nearly $400 for their long dresses (which I couldn't afford). Curious, I requested a fabric sample anyway. When it arrived I was really disappointed in the quality. It felt really thick, it was really shiny and seemed to curl at the ends.

I found another US based business that sold the dresses online. After reading all the happy testimonials, I purchased 3 long gowns, with a total of nearly $600. I waited 8 weeks for them to arrive and was so very disappointed when I opened the parcel... I didn't cry.. I sobbed!! The fabric was really thick and heavy, the stitching was just TERRIBLE, the dresses were too short and the waistline had really thick and heavy black elastic sewn in that stuck out. I tried emailing them to get a refund, but no one answered me. I had wasted nearly $600 of our wedding budget on dresses that I couldn't return and that were just too horrible to wear! I honestly couldn't even donate them to vinnies.. they were that bad!

Never one to be defeated.. and realizing that there was a real gap in the market for good quality and affordable Convertible Dresses, I decided that I would have my own made. A seemingly simple task so I thought...but what did I know? After all I had no fashion experience what so ever, my career had been in Sales and Marketing, not fashion design!

Boy was I mistaken that it would be easy!!

It took 3 months, 4 different dressmakers and 6 sample garments before I found the right person who could properly handle a stretch fabric.

Then my (I kid you not!) epic 7 month search for the PERFECT fabric began. It had to be soft and lightweight but still glide from the hips and not stick to any 'self-conscious" bits. Lightweight without being see through. It needed a subtle sheen, but without being shiny and looking like swim wear.

..... Getting fabric manufacturers to pay any attention to you at all is not an easy feat either!! It was sheer luck that I came across the right person who believed in what I was trying to do.

Nearly 12 months later, I had the perfect dress for my bridesmaids - who debuted the Lucy and Loo Convertible Dress at my wedding at Ebb Restaurant in Maroochydore. Funnily enough, just down the road from our new studio.

Loo's Sister Kate was her Maid of Honor
wearing the Violet Purple Lucy and Loo Full Length Dress

Throughout my journey I was told repeatedly from people in the industry "It can't be done" or "You can't manufacture in Australia" or "Why don't you just buy in China like everyone else?" But I was determined to keep control of the quality of our dresses and keep them Aussie Made.

I can tell you now I have nearly given up several times! Ha ha! (oh my poor husband!!) But I knuckled down and figured it out. After trialing many different Australian manufacturers and the quality not being at my OCD perfectionist best, we decided the best course of action was to bring everything in house.

So, with the help of all the experts and friends I met in my journey so far, I learned to cut fabric.



It's strangely therapeutic to lay thousands of dollars of fabric out and slice through it in seconds! Ha ha! All of our garments are now cut in the studio and sewn by a fabulous friend of mine, right here on the coast.


Lucy and Loo now have 6 stockists in Australia, we sell online and ship daily within Australia and regularly ship internationally. Our plan is to triple our stockists by June 2014.

My best piece of advice for anyone out there who has a dream is.. don't give up. Don't listen to anyone that tells you that you can't do something - because mostly, it's because they couldn't. But if you believe in yourself enough... you can. You can do anything that your stubborn little mind thinks!

(My second piece of advice is.. Don't try to build a business and plan a wedding at the same time. Only insane people do that! Lol!)

The best part of all of this, is I have an amazing and rapidly growing business that I love.. and I get to pick up my little man from School everyday."



Location: 
Maroochydore
Queensland

Open hours:
Tuesday to Friday 9.30am - 5pm
Saturday's 9am - 1pm

Appointments are recommended particularly for bridal parties. This way, Loo can spend an hour with you, personally finding the perfect wrap style for each of your bridesmaids. 

Contact: 
Leah Spender - aka Loo
0450 504 675